On an unrelated note, I also took part in the 2006 NAMI Oklahoma NAMIwalk today. It was crowded, rainy, and slightly cold, but otherwise a good time. I got to see a number of clients from my former employer, Hope.
In seeing these people today I was reminded of why positions at community mental health facilities have such a high turnover rate for employees...and likely for clients as well. More than anything, the lack of change in the individual clients' lives is difficult to face. Today I saw four clients who, due to the severity of their mental illness and/or cognitive deficits that they possess, will probably never be able to reach the level of recovery for which they strive. And after seeing those people day in and day out for two years, with their constant struggle to just stay afloat, a person gets disappointed. To be one of those unfortunate people is even more of a struggle. It's diffifult to find the motivation to work on your recovery when you're surrounded by people who are content with complacency.
That to say, I was inspired in my efforts to be a licensed professional counselor, becuase I, like many others, need to see results for my actions. Fruits of my labor, if you will.
Also this week I found out that I passed my LPC test. Studying is overrated.
2 comments:
woot woot.
I know some people who participated in the NAMI walk. I need to talk to you about pictures on blogger. I can't get mine to work.
andy,andy,andy......
complacent????? ones level of recovery is what one makes of it. the struggle is ALWAYS worth the attempt. and who's to say that these "unfortunates" (your reference) arent just thrilled to be what they are at this very moment? i dare say that you will have a "cure" in your line of work...assistance and guidance towards any goal is pretty much all you can do....unless of course someone died and named you God?
Post a Comment